- The Rebel performs DEATH LOLZ, November 9, 2017
- Publication launch of DEATH LOLZ Presents…, November 12, 2017
- The Psychopathology of DEATH LOLZ, a talk for the general public by Dr. Robert Laing, November 21, 2017
- Julia Hahn’s Happy Hour with Cecilia Corrigan, Ana Fabrega, Julio Torres, and Amy Zimmer, November 28, 2017
- Head Gallery with Ruby McCollister, Judgement Now, and Tobias Madison, Red Lace, Moon Unit, Black Comet, Cometh!, December 5, 2017
- Cammisa Buerhaus performs Monica Lewinsky at the Theatre of Dionysus, December 10, 2017
DEATH LOLZ Presents… is a multi-part project consisting of an exhibition design, series of events, and a publication, all developed in collaboration with Dan Mitchell. In his text The Age of LOLZ is Dead. Long Live DEATH LOLZ, included in an accompanying publication made by the artist, Mitchell traces a recent chain of political events that have contributed to an unprecedented present, investigating the psychological effects that take place in the everyday. He writes, “What are we to make of where we are, as we endlessly oscillate between worry and hope? I don’t mean politically, I mean personally. The state and the corporate bodies administer unreasonable violence (…) in the everyday of our lives. So our response also needs to happen in the everyday, and it also needs to be unreasonable. DEATH LOLZ is an unreasonable humor.”
Utilizing the exhibition as a ‘space of dramatization’—a continual project of the 2017 program at MINI/Goethe-Institut Curatorial Residencies Ludlow 38—Mitchell has re-purposed the gallery into an event space for the duration of DEATH LOLZ Presents…, starting from the outside with a large vinyl print directly applied to the exterior window, effectively branding the space within. Inside, a false wall rhetorically reads WHY DID YOU KILL THE LOLZ? and functions as a backdrop for weekly performances by artists, musicians, and comedians, hosted by artist Cammisa Buerhaus in character as Julia Hahn.